Europe and the United States express their views on the Supreme Court's ruling on tariffs.

date
20:53 21/02/2026
avatar
GMT Eight
President Trump's tariff policy suffered a major blow from the US Supreme Court on Friday, welcomed by major US trading partners but also viewed with caution.
According to the media reports on February 20th, Trump's tariff policy suffered a major blow from the US Supreme Court on Friday. The US's major trading partners have welcomed this, but also held a cautious attitude. The US Supreme Court deemed most of the tariff policy to be illegal and rejected the so-called "reciprocal tariffs," but did not cancel tariffs on specific industries. Trump stated that he would impose a 10% tariff on "global" goods. European Union "We have noticed this decision, and we will analyze it carefully," said European Commission spokesperson Olof Gill. He said, "Businesses on both sides of the Atlantic rely on the stability and predictability of trade relations. That is why we continue to advocate for low tariffs and work towards reducing them." France French Economy Minister Roland Riescox responded, saying that the US Supreme Court's decision shows that tariffs are "a topic that needs to be discussed." He said, "We also see that the US trade deficit remained at a high level last year. This also indicates that the expected magical revenue did not materialize. Now, we need to see what consequences this will have in the future." Regarding the possibility of the US returning already paid tariffs, Riescox said, "This will have to be decided by the US government, especially the Justice Department, to determine how to proceed." United Kingdom "We will study together with the US government to understand how this decision will affect US tariffs on the UK and other parts of the world," the UK government said in a statement. The announcement also stated, "The treatment the UK receives is the lowest reciprocal tariffs globally. Whatever happens, we expect to maintain our priority trade relationship with the US." Canada Canadian Minister of Trade, Dominic LeBlanc, believes that the US Supreme Court's decision "solidifies Canada's position" that these tariffs are "unfair." He posted on social platform X, saying that Canada will continue to negotiate with the US, as Canadian businesses continue to be impacted by these tariffs, affecting many key industries. Mexico "First, we need to see what measures he (Trump) will take, and then we can determine how it will affect us," said Mexican Minister of Economy Marcelo Ebrard. Germany A spokesperson for the German government stated that Berlin maintains "close contact" with Washington. The spokesperson said in a statement, "Berlin is aware of the Supreme Court's decision. We are in close contact with the US government to understand clearly what needs to be done next to ensure the stability and predictability of trade relations."